I visited Rockefeller University in New York (amazing), Princeton in New Jersey (gorgeous), and finally made it to Baltimore to see my family and friends.
My March Madness Bracket is as follows:
And is cleverly titled: "March Madness? This is Sparta"
After visiting Rockefeller, I stayed in New York with my cousin and met up with some friends. The lines were out the door for mainstream brunch restaurants, so we ended up on the road less traveled. I mistook the chef standing outside the restaurant for a statue of a chef, and spent the rest of brunch trying not to laugh at his appearance, his thick accent, the accordion player in corner, or the valentines day / christmas / german / year round decor.
The food was excellent, I enjoyed a mulled wine and eggs benedict. The company was great also, shout outs to my cousin Jordan who was a great host.
Back to France:
From the plane I could see some unidentified mountain poking through the clouds
I showed up late on a monday night to find the canadians watching the first "Sex and the City" movie. It is hands down the second worst movie I have ever seen, which says a lot. They agreed to turn it off after no one could stand it anymore. Monday we cut down another forest so we could plant trees there.........
Tuesday night I headed to downtown Nice, where a welcome back / congratulations on grad school party was waiting for me. I committed to Hopkins!
Wednesday we had off because it was supposed to rain (it never did) so we toured around Nice trying to win the AYC photo contest. Obviously, I can't share the photos until the contest ends but there are some pretty good ones.
Kelly left Thursday morning to go to a Taylor Swift concert in New York (she say's she's going just to see the opener, Ed Sheeran). Claire leaves Sunday.
Thursday I worked with Joelle to fix up the glass greenhouse (now I know why they use mostly plastic). Friday we all worked on prepping a different greenhouse, and then had croquettes with blettes (swiss chard) for lunch. After lunch, we went to go see Joelle's brother (who lives nearby) who allegedly has great horned owls in his yard. We arrived to find a very nice house, and the worlds smallest great horned owl. It was still a very interesting bird to see, it turned to look at us wherever we went. Joelle's brother speaks english, but in a stereotypically thick French accent.
My French is getting much better. At my welcome home party, the conversations drifted in and out of french without me noticing (sometimes), and when a chicken came into the house during lunch today I yelled at it (instinctively in french) and it understood me and ran out.
A new canadian Kelly comes sometime next week!



No comments:
Post a Comment