Friday I gave my first farm tour to the city folk, and we ate some of Jean-Louis' Pizza and then baked cookies in the wood burning stove. During the tour we got to enjoy the company of Betty the attack pig, who sometimes thinks that people are food. If you feed her enough she figures it out though.
We are starting to have actually produce at the farm, not just glorified leaves (although I've been enjoying life as a rabbit). We have courgettes that can be harvested daily (we fried the flowers one day yum), the first cherries are ripe, the figs are coming along, asparagus is shooting up as fast as we can pick it, and tomatoes are happily rooted. There is also a lot of mint, garlic, and spring onion floating around.
Despite all of this new food I am still losing belt sizes. Joelle thinks I've lost 20 kilos but she also has a tendency for hyperbole and a half. We will take it to the scales tomorrow. I started at about 99 kilos.
The WWOOFer getting eaten by betty is from California, and has a ton of interesting stories. She is Craig Ventner's second cousin, her friend is currently working as tinkerbell in disneyworld, she bent a fencing sword in half when someone stabbed her in the leg with it, and she saw 3 wolves when she was working on the goat farm. This last tidbit attracts the most interest from the locals, in fact she is often introduced as "this is the girl who saw the wolves".
The other WWOOFer grew up farming, and is a part-time leatherworker. She and her brother are traveling around Europe (occasionally meeting up with one another) for a few months, and she was able to recommend a Berlin Burger Joint to me. She speaks very little french, but I am teaching her when I can.
My French has gotten about as good as I think it's going to get. I can carry a conversation without trouble, and Joelle keeps nagging me to find someone to speak with when I get home so I can retain the language. I keep reminding her that my girlfriend and one of my best friends speak french, and are both here learning, but that isn't enough for her I guess.
Saturday was a beach day, followed by a long night of Harry Potter and Mojitos. Sunday we trekked up to St Paul de Vence, which is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever been. I was thinking about my mother almost the entire day (maybe because it was mothers day), but also because she would've loved it there. Think French mediterranean hilltop village in the foothills of the alps overlooking the Cote d'azur that is packed with art galleries and old men playing petanques. I also got to chat with my family, congrats to my brother for completing Spritz training!
Monday was tomato day, we planted them all day long at broc. Jean Louis was chipper, joking about John's gerber knife and how we needed to weigh down one of the wooffers with a rock-laden backpack so she could be heavy enough to push stakes in the ground. Allergies hit everyone very hard, hopefully the season will be short.
One of the other WWOOFers is an actual botanist, not just a phycologist. She mentioned something about cleaning her hands with cleavers when she was in a pinch, but obviously I thought she meant cleavers which are a very different animal. I'm glad we got it cleared up.
Yes one of the WWOOFers made the "Je suis pleine" mistake again, as well as the "Je suis cool (cul)" mistake, again.
Bob is enjoying WWOOFing, he apparently helped host a party on Saturday. I haven't seen him much, but it sounds like he's keeping busy.


No comments:
Post a Comment